We thought we would give everyone a “heads up” about the new Firearms Safety Certificate which will be required after January 1, 2015. This information was actually put together by another gun dealer, but we found it quite succinct and easy to understand. Here’s reprint you may find helpful….
SB 683 will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2015. SB 683 eliminates the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) and replaces it with the Firearms Safety Certificate (FSC) which will be required for the purchase of all firearms-handguns, rifles and shotguns. Purchasers/transferees of all firearms will be required to perform the Safe Handling Demo (SHD) on all firearms beginning Jan. 1, 2015.
The Grant Boys will be issuing FSC’s and performing SHD’s as we have been doing with the current HSC program. But given the added time involved in the process and the high number of customers who will need the FSC, we strongly recommend that you DROS and pick up your rifles, shotguns prior to Dec. 31, 2014.
Here is a summary of how this transition may affect you:
- Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC)
- Customers who DROS a long gun (rifle or shotgun) and pick it up before close of business on Dec. 31, 2014 will not need to possess an FSC.
- Customers who DROS a long gun before close of business on Dec. 31, 2014 but who do not pick up the gun until after Dec. 31, 2014 will need to obtain the FSC.
- Customers who DROS a long gun beginning Jan. 1, 2015 will need to possess an FSC.
- Customers who possess an HSC will be able to DROS handguns only, up to the expiration date of an HSC card issued prior to Jan. 1, 2015.
- If they wish to purchase a long gun, they will need to acquire the FSC.
- Firearm Safe Handling Demo (SHD)
- Beginning Jan. 1, 2015 customers must perform the SHD for handguns and long guns prior to transfer of the firearm regardless if they DROS’d the gun prior to Dec. 31st.
- Exemptions to the FSC include:
- All of the exemptions to the HSC plus long gun purchasers who possess a current hunting license.
The Grant Boys is a “brick & mortar” store located in Costa Mesa, California. We have been in business since 1949 and are family-owned and operated. We are dedicated to fun in the outdoors. Our store is 12,000 square feet of selling space and we buy from over 600 vendors in the outdoors industry. Chances are if you are looking for an item related to camping, fishing, shooting, or outdoor apparel, we have it or can get it for you. THE GRANT BOYS also stocks a huge selection of jeans. If you need a hard-to-find size, we probably have it. We are always happy to special order that we don’t carry in our normal stock.
Monday – Friday 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Sunday 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Phone: (949) 645-3400
FAX: (949) 645-2603